Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Questions (113)

Derek Keating


113. Deputy Derek Keating asked the Minister for Health the checks that are put in place by his Department in relation to organisations which provide professional services for suicide, depression, bereavement and other such community-based services which receive funding from his Department; the criteria required to ensure that all public moneys paid are used in the correct manner for which that money is supplied; if he is satisfied that auditing of public funding provided to such organisations meets a standard that protects the State from fraud, misuse or inappropriate management; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [30202/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

My Department has a National Lottery discretionary fund in place which provides once-off grants to community groups and organisations providing a range of health related services. The assessment of applications is made on the basis that these grants are intended to be discretionary 'once off' funding and are not intended to fund ongoing services. Once an application has been received and registered, my Department consults with the Health Service Executive and assesses the merits of the application and the impact the service provider in question has on local and national health services.

The Government's tax clearance procedures apply to all grants allocated. These procedures mean that groups must certify that their tax affairs are in order, and provide their Tax Reference Number and Tax Clearance Certificate where appropriate. Alternatively, if an organisation has been granted Charitable Tax Exemption from the Revenue Commissioners, their CHY number must accompany the application.

Organisations are made aware of the terms of approval regarding certification and must furnish a certified invoice or an audited statement of accounts which clearly shows where the grant was spent and that it was used for the purpose it was provided for. It is also a condition of the grant that certification of expenditure should be submitted to the Department as soon as possible after the end of the financial year or when the project is completed (whichever is earlier).

Question No. 114 answered with Question No. 105.