Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Questions (266)

Simon Harris


266. Deputy Simon Harris asked the Minister for Education and Skills if he will consider allowing for dual enrolment to take place for children with special educational needs, in such circumstances where a child is being gradually transitioned to mainstream school or attending as much mainstream school as possible but also requires to remain in a special needs school for a period of time or for certain aspects; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [30331/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

I wish to advise the Deputy that my Department does not facilitate the dual enrolment of children in schools. National Council for Special Education Special Educational Needs Organisers (SENO's) can only allocate resources to schools in respect of those pupils enrolled in a school. However, dual placement arrangements are a regular feature of transitional plans for children who are transferring from one placement to another and should be managed locally by the relevant Boards of Management.

In addition, some children with special educational needs in special schools or special classes may also attend mainstream classes on a part-time basis in line with their abilities and local arrangements are made by the relevant boards of management.

All schools have the names and contact details of their local SENO. Parents may also contact their local SENO directly to discuss their child's special educational needs, using the contact details available on www.ncse.ie.