Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Questions (96)

Finian McGrath


96. Deputy Finian McGrath asked the Minister for Education and Skills if he will support a matter (details supplied). [35681/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

As you will be aware, the Department has no role in the employment of staff in schools or schools' day to day management and a complaint about the child's school and its staff must be made to the school itself. In this regard, the Department does not have the power to instruct schools to follow a particular course of direction with regard to individual complaint cases. While many schools use the complaints procedures that have been agreed between school management authorities and teacher unions, the Department has no role in relation to a school's implementation of these procedures. The Deputy will be aware that my officials recently wrote to the HSE on the matter. On foot of their reply, my officials have written to the person in question and to the school authorities. If a parent is dissatisfied in relation to a school's handling of his/her complaint, it is open to the parent to contact the office of the Ombudsman for Children which may investigate complaints relating to the administrative actions of a school recognised by the Department.