Thursday, 24 October 2013

Questions (192)

Patrick Nulty


192. Deputy Patrick Nulty asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government if persons who voluntarily give up their family home as a consequence of mortgage arrears will be allowed onto their local authority housing list; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45462/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Environment)

For a household to qualify for social housing support, a housing authority must carry out an assessment to establish whether the household is in need of housing and meet s certain eligibility criteria, including income limits. As part of a concerted effort to deal with the issue of mortgage arrears, the Social Housing Assessment Regulations were amended in 2011 to provide that a household may be determined to be in need of housing if it has a mortgage that is deemed to be unsustainable under the Mortgage Arrears Resolution Process.