As Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform I have overarching responsibility for the public service, however, each individual sector has responsibility for the operation of grievance procedures in their sector.
While it would be inappropriate for me to comment on any specific case, it should be noted that grievance procedures are governed by the general principles of natural justice and fair procedures which include:
- That employee grievances are fairly examined and processed;
- That details of any allegations or complaints are put to the parties concerned;
- That the parties concerned are given the opportunity to respond fully to any such allegations or complaints;
- That the parties concerned are given the opportunity to avail of the right to be represented during the procedure;
- That the parties concerned have the right to a fair and impartial determination of the issues concerned, taking into account any representations made by, or on behalf of, the parties and any other relevant or appropriate evidence, factors or circumstances.
My own Department is responsible for grievance procedures in the Civil Service which are available athttp://hr.per.gov.ie/files/2011/05/grievance-procedure.pdf.