Following the award of a contract to Capita Business Services Ltd, work has started on the development of the postcode system. The indicative timeline for introduction of postcodes is April 2015. In the interim period, work will proceed on the design of the postcode and on the preparatory work on public sector databases as well as preparations for the dissemination of postcodes to the general public. The introduction of Postcodes will give rise to significant economic and social benefits including:
- Enabling organisations to improve existing services and develop new service offerings, including the SME sector;
- Delivery of improved efficiencies with regards to logistics including emergency service response;
- acting as a strong support for the development of digital applications in the Irish economy;
- Improved efficiency and accuracy of internal business processes as a result of improved accuracy and consistency of databases across public and private sectors;
- Better planning and analysis capabilities across public and private sectors;
- Providing a stimulus to mail volumes through improved direct marketing capabilities;
- Facilitating improved efficiencies and quality improvements in the mails sector; and
- Better targeting of services to local areas and development of customised services for localities.
An Post will be highly involved in the dissemination and the rollout of the National Postcode System and will see a substantial sustained benefit as the introduction of postcodes is likely to result in an immediate and sustained increase in mail volumes as businesses update database systems to include postcodes.