Wednesday, 14 February 2018

Questions (285)

Jim O'Callaghan


285. Deputy Jim O'Callaghan asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the way in which her Department manages and refunds social welfare underpayments due to persons who have omitted to claim their benefits or have been incorrectly deemed eligible for the benefits; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7560/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

The Department is not clear as to the nature of the Deputy’s query in this instance. This Department does not have underpayments as such. We have claims that may need to be backdated and arrears paid in certain circumstances. Once a decision is made and a claim has been awarded payment issues promptly. This payment will also include any arrears due to the customer at that point from the date they made the claim or the date from when they are entitled to the payment e.g. pension age.

If the Deputy has a particular case in mind if they send the Department the details we will have the matter examined.