Tuesday, 27 February 2018

Questions (144)

Eamon Scanlon


144. Deputy Eamon Scanlon asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade if a person can travel to the United Kingdom with only his or her public services card; the conditions of same; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9530/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Foreign)

The Passport Service of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is responsible for the issuance of passports to Irish citizens and for the maintenance of the security and integrity of the Irish passport. Immigration or administrative requirements for entry into other States, including what documentation is acceptable for those purposes, are not matters within the competence of my Department.

Ireland and the United Kingdom share a Common Travel Area and as such, a passport is not necessarily required for travel. The requirements of individual airlines and ferry companies may vary as concerns which forms of photographic identification, other than a passport, they may accept as proof of identity for travel between Ireland and Great Britain.

Questions Nos. 145 to 147, inclusive, answered with Question No. 136.