Tuesday, 27 February 2018

Questions (481)

Gino Kenny


481. Deputy Gino Kenny asked the Minister for Health the difficulties in relation to importing a product (details supplied) which has been prescribed for a person under special licence and for which the parent needs to travel regularly to the Netherlands to collect; the HSE's plans to reimburse the medication costs through the long-term illness or alternative scheme; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9928/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

As Minister for Health, I have issued 5 licences for cannabis-based products for medical use by named patients. This allows for the importation of these products from other countries, including The Netherlands. There are no difficulties in importing such products on foot of a valid Ministerial licence.

However, there may be issues in some countries with the exporting of cannabis-based products. This is a matter for the authorities of the exporting country.

In relation to the reimbursement of cannabis-based products under the community drug schemes, officials in my Department are currently considering funding proposals for an access programme for these products.