Tuesday, 27 February 2018

Questions (689)

Catherine Murphy


689. Deputy Catherine Murphy asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the forms of photographic identification a person can use to obtain a public services card. [9782/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

When a person attends for SAFE registration, they are asked to bring certain documents with them. The photographic identification requested depends on the nationality of the person concerned.

Non-EEA nationals are required to present a current valid passport. EEA nationals (apart from Irish and UK nationals) are required to present either a current valid passport or a national ID card. UK nationals are required to present either a passport or a driving licence and birth certificate.

Irish nationals are requested to bring either their driving licence or passport, but SAFE registration can proceed if these are not provided. In such cases, a supervisor interview takes place to verify the person’s identity using the data held by the Department.

I trust this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.