Skip to main content
Normal View

Working Holiday Visas

Dáil Éireann Debate, Thursday - 12 July 2018

Thursday, 12 July 2018

Questions (298)

Paul Kehoe


298. Deputy Paul Kehoe asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation the options for securing a work permit or sponsorship for a New Zealand national who has been here since 15 July 2017 on a one-year working holiday visa and is working in the construction industry; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [31895/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Business)

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade administers Working Holiday Authorisations (WHA) on behalf of the Department of Justice and Equality, the purpose of which is to allow young non-Irish citizens seek work while on holiday in Ireland.  The WHA with New Zealand promotes travel between both countries for citizens between the ages of 18 to 30, for a period of one year and enables employment of a casual or temporary nature only, which must be incidental to the holiday. 

Permission to reside in the State on the basis of a WHA is subject to the terms and conditions of the WHA including the requirement to be resident in New Zealand at the time of application plus the requirement that the WHA holder leave Ireland on expiration of the authorization.

Upon return to New Zealand, the foreign national may then consider submitting an application for an employment permit from outside the State, on foot of an eligible job offer, which will be considered subject to the usual criteria applying under the Employment Permits Acts and Regulations.