Tuesday, 26 March 2019

Questions (1111)

Robert Troy


1111. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if ATV and scrambler motorbikes that are used on public roads must be taxed; and the tax category to which such vehicles belong. [13644/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

Scrambler motorbikes, quadbikes and other small similar vehicles, are mechanically propelled vehicles, which means that they are vehicles intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical power.  As such, irrespective of engine capacity, under Road Traffic legislation, the user of a scrambler motorbike, a quad bike or similar vehicle, in a public place must have insurance, road tax and a driving licence, and must also wear a helmet, with penalties under the road traffic laws (including fixed charge notices, penalty points, fines and possible seizure of the vehicle) for not being in compliance with these requirements.

The category of taxation which such vehicles falls into is a matter for Revenue Commissioners.