Tuesday, 28 May 2019

Questions (185)

Bernard Durkan


185. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation if a person (details supplied) can join their parent by way of a work permit or an alternative; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [22439/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Business)

The Employment Permits Section of my Department informs me that not enough information has been provided to determine whether the person (details supplied) qualifies for an employment permit.

In order to work in the State all non-EEA nationals require a valid employment permit unless exempt under permission from the Department of Justice and Equality. In order to apply for an employment permit a non-EEA national must have secured a job offer for an eligible occupation from an Irish registered employer.

The State's general policy is to promote the sourcing of labour and skills needs from within Ireland and other EEA countries. Where specific skills prove difficult to source within the State or EEA, an employment permit may be sought by an employer to hire a non-EEA national in line with the Employment Permits Acts and associated Regulations, which lay down in legislation the criteria in relation to the application, grant and refusal of an employment permit.

Any application for an employment permit should comply with all of the legislative requirements for the particular employment permit type, including that the non-EEA national has the required immigration permission at the time of application. Family circumstances are not relevant in the context of employment permit applications. Immigration permissions, including any entitlements that may accrue to this individual by virtue of their father being an Irish citizen, are a matter for my colleague, the Minister for Justice and Equality, and any such queries should be directed to that Department.

Details on how to apply for an employment permit are available on our website at the following link - https://dbei.gov.ie/en/What-We-Do/Workplace-and-Skills/Employment-Permits/