Tuesday, 28 May 2019

Questions (506)

Thomas P. Broughan


506. Deputy Thomas P. Broughan asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government the number of EU nationals refused social housing support due to owning a property in their country of origin, in each of the years 2017, 2018 and to date in 2019; the avenues that exist for those who have properties of little or no value; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22841/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

My Department does not hold information of the type requested by the Deputy.

The assessment of households for social housing support, and the allocation of that support to qualified households is a matter for individual local authorities in accordance with the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 and associated regulations.

Under Section 20 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 and Regulation 22(1) of the Social Housing Assessment Regulations 2011, a household shall be ineligible for social housing support if it has alternative accommodation that the household could reasonably be expected to use to meet its housing need, either by occupying it or by selling the accommodation and using the proceeds to secure suitable accommodation suitable for the household’s adequate housing.