Tuesday, 11 June 2019

Questions (915)

Paul Kehoe


915. Deputy Paul Kehoe asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if a person (details supplied) will be included in the contributory pension review; if so, when the person will be contacted; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [23885/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Since late September 2018, my Department has been examining the social insurance records of approximately 90,000 pensioners, born on or after 1 September 1946, who have a reduced rate State pension contributory entitlement based on post Budget 2012 rate-bands. These payments are being reviewed under a new Total Contributions Approach (TCA) pension calculation which includes provision for HomeCaring periods.

Those being reviewed include eligible pensioners, such as the person concerned, who have and underlying entitlement to State pension (contributory) but are currently the beneficiary of an Increase for qualified adult payment on their spouses pension.

An examination of the social insurance record of the person concerned shows some unexplained gaps. A request for information about time spent out of the workforce for parenting or caring reasons has been sent to her Included in the letter are details of how to return the required information using the Department’s online services. This is the quickest and easiest way to provide the information required to complete the person's review. The letter also provides a dedicated helpline to support and assist the person making their online application, or to request a paper application.

On receipt of the requested information, the person’s state pension (contributory) rate will be reviewed and they will be informed of the outcome in writing. If an increase is due, and it is more financially beneficial for them, they will be transferred to their own payment and arrears of payment backdated to 30 March 2018 issued without delay. If no increase is due following, they will continue as the beneficiary of an Increase for qualified adult payment on their spouses pension.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.