Tuesday, 18 June 2019

Questions (676)

Anne Rabbitte


676. Deputy Anne Rabbitte asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government the amount of financial support provided to an organisation (details supplied) in each of the past five years; the non-financial supports provided to the organisation; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [25473/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

My Department does not fund any homeless service directly but provides funding to housing authorities towards the operational costs of homeless accommodation and related services under Section 10 of the Housing Act, 1988. Under Exchequer funding arrangements, housing authorities must provide at least 10% of the cost of services from their own resources. Furthermore, housing authorities may also incur additional expenditure on homeless related services outside of the Exchequer funding arrangements provided by my Department. Therefore, the exact amounts spent by housing authorities on homeless services, as well as the service providers engaged and other non-financial supports, are a matter for those authorities.

Homeless services are organised on a regional basis with Galway City Council designated as the lead authority for the West region. The West region comprises Galway City Council, Galway County Council, Mayo County Council and Roscommon County Council. Decisions on the range of emergency accommodation services required are a matter for individual housing authorities in consultation with the Management Group of the relevant regional joint Homelessness Consultative Forum.

Financial reports setting out total expenditure on homeless services in each of the nine homeless regions are published on my Department’s website at the following link: