Wednesday, 3 July 2019

Questions (247)

Peadar Tóibín


247. Deputy Peadar Tóibín asked the Minister for Health if the case of a person (details supplied) will be reviewed. [28461/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

The State Claims Agency has a statutory remit to manage personal injury claims, including claims in respect of clinical negligence, on behalf of Delegated State Authorities (DSA’s) including the Health Service Executive.

The Clinical Indemnity Scheme (CIS) is the main scheme under which the State Claims Agency (SCA) manages all clinical negligence claims taken against healthcare enterprises, hospitals and clinical, nursing and allied healthcare practitioners covered by the scheme.

I have been informed by the SCA, that it is not managing this case. Where an individual wishes to make a claim for clinical malpractice or negligence, however, they or their solicitor should, in the first instance, submit a letter of claim to the State Claims Agency setting out the particulars of the case.