I would like to advise the Deputy that there are many factors which influence and inform the formation of tax policy in all areas, including policy decisions in relation to the taxation of investment funds in the property sector.
- Statistical data from various sources including Revenue and the Central Bank of Ireland.
- Research and analysis conducted by officials in my Department.
- Inputs from public policy fora, such as the annual National Economic Dialogue.
- Inputs from other Government Departments and cabinet colleagues.
- Pre-Budget submissions and other engagements with a wide range of stakeholders.
All decisions relating to the annual Budget are also influenced by overall performance and outlook in the domestic economy and by Ireland’s obligations to comply with the EU fiscal rules, as set out under the Stability and Growth Pact (SGP). As such, issues relating to the formulation of budgetary policy must be considered within this wider context of ensuring Ireland’s continued compliance with the EU fiscal rules, as well as the sustainability of public finances.