Tuesday, 23 July 2019

Questions (2290)

John Curran


2290. Deputy John Curran asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if the meeting on 13 June 2019 went ahead with the relevant agencies and stakeholders to deliver the annual support of €75 for the disposal of medical incontinence wear for vulnerable persons to help meet the average annual cost of disposing of domestic waste; the progress made as a result of the meeting; when the support will be implemented; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [34231/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Communications)

Since mid-2017, a range of charging options have been operated, which encourage householders to reduce and separate their waste, and provides flexibility to waste collectors to develop various service-price offerings that suit different household circumstances. Mandatory per kilogramme 'pay by weight' charging was not introduced. A Price Monitoring Group (PMG) was established in mid-2017 to monitor the on-going cost of residential waste collection to homeowners across Ireland as the ‘flat-rate structure’ was being phased out. While fluctuations in prices and service offerings have been observed, the overall trend has been relative price stability.

My Department has engaged with relevant stakeholders, including representative organisations and public bodies, in an effort to see how best to provide a financial support to persons with long-term incontinence with respect to the disposal of medical incontinence wear. In this regard a meeting was held with representative organisations on 13 June 2019 where details of the current situation regarding the proposed support were outlined along with a summary of my Department’s efforts to date to develop a suitable mechanism to deliver this support.

Notwithstanding the complex issues at play, which are understandable given the sensitive nature of the medical data in question, I assure the Deputy that I continue to be committed to addressing this issue.

Question No. 2291 answered with Question No. 2182.