Tuesday, 1 October 2019

Questions (201)

Eamon Scanlon


201. Deputy Eamon Scanlon asked the Minister for Education and Skills if a person (details supplied) with bachelor degrees from the United States of America is required to contact each individual statutory authority relative to each academia in order to be recognised here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [39415/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), the State Agency responsible for maintaining the National Framework of Qualifications, operates NARIC Ireland – the National Academic Recognition Information Centre. NARIC Ireland is responsible for providing advice on the recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland and provides comparability statements for a number of qualifications from various countries, including the United States of America.  These statements place foreign qualifications in the context of the Irish education and training system. These statements may be downloaded from the NARIC website at http://www.naric.ie.

It should be noted that the profession of psychologist is regulated in Ireland for the purposes of working in the publicly funded health service.  The Department of Health is designated as the Irish competent authority for this profession. Details on the qualification requirements and recognition processes for this profession are available from the Department of Health’s website at the following link: http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Information-note.pdf.

If a person is seeking to pursue further studies in Ireland on the basis of their foreign qualifications, the recognition of the qualifications for this purpose is a matter for the Higher Education Institution (HEI) with whom they plan to study. Information on this process is available directly from the HEIs.