Tuesday, 1 October 2019

Questions (459)

Mary Butler


459. Deputy Mary Butler asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if thebroadband service being provided to persons (details supplied) will be investigated; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [39396/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Communications)

Every home, farm, school and business in Ireland will have access to high speed broadband – no matter where they are located – following the Government’s decision to approve the appointment of a preferred bidder to the National Broadband Plan. Under this plan, Ireland will become one of the first countries in the world to ensure that those in rural areas have the same digital opportunities as those in urban areas. The premises referred to by the Deputy is in the Blue area on the National Broadband Plan (NBP) High Speed Broadband Map, which is available on my Department's website at www.broadband.gov.ie.

- The AMBER areas represent the target areas for the proposed State led Intervention under the NBP.

- The BLUE areas are where commercial providers are either currently delivering or have plans to deliver high speed broadband services.

- The LIGHT BLUE areas are where eir is in the process of deploying high speed broadband to 300,000 premises on a commercial basis.

Where a citizen living in a Blue area is unable to obtain a high speed broadband service, I would encourage them to email my Department at broadband@dccae.gov.ie with their Eircode and details of the service providers they have contacted and the issues encountered in respect of accessing high speed broadband.

I note the Deputy’s constituent’s concerns relating to the reliability of service they have been experiencing from their provider.

Issues relating to the provision of telecommunications services, including loss of service are, in the first instance, a matter for the relevant service provider to resolve.

If, after having exhausted the service provider's complaint handling procedures, a customer is not happy, they may contact the independent regulator, Commission for Communications Regulation, ComReg, on 1890 229 668; online at www.askcomreg.ie or by email at Consumerline@comreg.ie, for further assistance and guidance. ComReg will investigate such complaints to ensure that the companies in question are delivering services in line with its licence obligations.