Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Questions (530)

Niamh Smyth


530. Deputy Niamh Smyth asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if other supports are available to a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46127/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Under current legislation, child benefit is paid up to and including the month of a child’s 18th birthday provided the child is in full-time education. It ceases at 18 even if the child remains in full time education. As the person concerned received payment up to the date of the child's 18th birthday there is no further entitlement to child benefit.

If the person concerned is in receipt of other payment(s) from this Department, it may be possible to continue to claim an Increase for a qualified child (IQC) in respect of the child.  If this situation applies, they  should contact the relevant section within the Department.   Further information can be found at www.welfare.ie.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.