Skip to main content
Normal View

Domestic Violence Services

Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 28 July 2020

Tuesday, 28 July 2020

Questions (347)

Catherine Murphy


347. Deputy Catherine Murphy asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government the proportion of allocations from approved housing bodies, AHBs, here that are provided for housing for domestic violence survivors, that is, the specific allocation (details supplied); and the number of families by county in the past four years in tabular form. [18575/20]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

The allocation of housing to households on social housing waiting lists by either Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) or local authorities is a matter for individual local authorities in line with their allocation scheme. My Department does not hold information on the allocations of the specific type requested by the Deputy.

Section 22 of the 2009 Act requires all local authorities, as a reserved function, to make an allocation scheme determining the order of priority to be accorded in the allocation of dwellings to households qualified for social housing support and to households approved for a transfer, the allocation of which would, in the opinion of the authority, meet the accommodation needs and requirements of the households.

In line with commitments made under Rebuilding Ireland, my Department issued guidance in January 2017 to all local authorities in relation to assisting victims of domestic violence with emergency and long-term accommodation needs.  The guidance is also a useful reference for service providers working in the domestic violence services sector, highlighting where they can be of greatest assistance to their clients, covering a range of scenarios that may arise for victims of domestic violence in seeking social housing supports.  These include provisions around the use of the Housing Assistance Payment scheme, or the Rental Accommodation Scheme, where a victim has a joint interest in the family home, or ownership of alternative accommodation, but would otherwise qualify for social housing support.