Wednesday, 10 February 2021

Questions (902)

Louise O'Reilly


902. Deputy Louise O'Reilly asked the Minister for Health if his attention has been drawn to instances in which carer's allowance application forms, CR1 forms, are not being completed by general practitioners; the advice for persons who need forms filled out to have applications processed; if consideration has been given to waiving the need for such forms to be completed for the duration of Covid-19 restrictions to free up general practitioner time; the way in which applications can be processed in the absence of general practitioners filling out these forms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [7186/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

While there is currently an exceptional demand for GP services in the context of Covid-19, GPs continue to see patients for non-Covid related services where necessary, albeit with infection-control measures in place. Nurse and doctor advice is provided over the phone where appropriate, and patients who are clinically assessed as requiring a face to face consultation with a doctor are referred for an appointment. Where a face to face consultation is necessary, including those for non-clinical matters, this should be discussed between the GP or GP practice and the person concerned.

The carer's allowance application form (CR1) features a medical report section which must be completed and signed by a doctor registered with the Medical Council. Applications for carer's allowance are made to the Department of Social Protection, and information on how to apply for carer's allowance is available from the Government website. However, how relevant application forms are processed, and the requirements for their completion, is determined by the Department or organisation responsible for the application form.

Question No. 903 answered with Question No. 710.