Skip to main content
Normal View

Vehicle Registration Tax

Dáil Éireann Debate, Wednesday - 17 February 2021

Wednesday, 17 February 2021

Questions (167)

Michael Healy-Rae


167. Deputy Michael Healy-Rae asked the Minister for Finance if a person (details supplied) can drive a UK registered car here for longer than 12 months; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8742/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Finance)

I am informed by Revenue that a temporary exemption in situations outlined by the Deputy normally applies for a period not exceeding twelve months and, in such cases, there is no requirement to make a formal application. Where a longer period is being sought a formal application is required and, evidence of eligibility must be provided.

The person concerned should contact Revenue’s Central Vehicle Office (CVO) to make her application. The preferred means of contact is, online, through Revenue’s MyEnquiries facility and the claim for exemption should be submitted with any supporting documentation. The relevant instructions to be followed in MyEnquiries are:

Location: ‘Per – Central Vehicle Office’

Tax Type: ‘VRT’

Category: ‘TOR and Temp Exemptions Applic’.

Where an online application is not possible, the person concerned can send the application by post (marked FREEPOST) to:

Central Vehicle Office,

Office of the Revenue Commissioners,

Anne Street,


Y35 E29K.

Question No. 168 answered with Question No. 150.