I wish to confirm to the Deputy that there are 9 post primary schools in the Drumcondra/Marino school catchment area.
The Department records data as reported by schools on an annual basis in respect of their available accommodation and enrolment. The Department also holds records in respect of completed or planned Department-funded school building projects and historic enrolment data. However, it is a matter for individual Boards of Management to determine the capacity of their school building and appropriate enrolment levels.
It is also important to note that in city areas in particular, spare capacity or enrolment pressures in the wider region can impact on schools in a central school planning area.
Where capacity issues arise it may not be as a result of lack of accommodation but may be driven by the following factors:
- Duplication of applications – pupils have applied for a place to a number of schools in the area
- School of choice – pupils can’t get a place in their preferred school while there are places in other schools in the town/area
- Some towns/areas have single sex schools and while places are available in the school they are not available to all pupils
- External draw – pupils coming from outside the local area
My Department has major building works planned for the following schools:
- Scoil Chaitriona Glasnevin – RN60700R - Major project to provide an LTPE of 500 pupils – project brief stage.
- Rosmini Community School – RN91344V – Major Project to provide an LTPE of 350 pupils school extension and refurbishment – Project at Stage 3.
There is also additional school accommodation applications for the following school:
Dominican College – The Department has recently sanctioned a devolved project for an extension to expand the school to cater for 800 pupils. This project is commencing the architectural planning process.
Furthermore, additional post primary provision to meet the need in Drumcondra_Marino_D1 was announced in 2018 and the timing of this provision is being kept under review in the context of emerging demand in the area.
My Department additionally engages with patron bodies to identify particular capacity requirements for a particular year(s) which may necessitate action in the form of additional interim accommodation, permanent extension or potential new school. Requirements for school places in all 314 school planning areas, including in Drumcondra_Marino_D1, will continue to be kept under review.