Skip to main content
Normal View

Disability Services

Dáil Éireann Debate, Friday - 3 December 2021

Friday, 3 December 2021

Questions (72)

Thomas Gould


72. Deputy Thomas Gould asked the Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth the funding provided to local authorities by his Department to employ a disability officer and the local authorities with a full-time disability officer employed. [59421/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Children)

My Department does not provide direct funding to local authorities to employ 'disability officers'.  Rather, there are existing statutory requirements regarding accessible information and services that all public bodies are bound by and which they must be cognisant of when conducted and planning their normally funded functions. This approach is designed to integrate accessibility into core business functions. 

To support persons who may have particular needs, section 26 of the Disability Act 2005 requires the authorisation of at least one officer of a public body, to provide or arrange for and co-ordinate the provision of assistance and guidance to persons with disabilities in accessing its services.   This officer is referred to as an 'access officer' in the Act.  

The general funding of local authorities is a matter for the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.

Question No. 73 answered with Question No. 42.
Question No. 74 answered orally.