Tuesday, 27 January 2004

Questions (747)

Finian McGrath


869 Mr. F. McGrath asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if the maximum advice and support will be given to a person (details supplied) in Dublin 5 who is a victim of the justice system; and if the commissioner will investigate the case. [1434/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform)

I have had inquiries made regarding this matter, and I am informed that a person pleaded guilty in court to assault on the person referred to by the Deputy and was accordingly convicted and given a suspended sentence of 18 months and bound to keep the peace for two years. The court also ordered that compensation to the amount of €3,809.21 be paid to the injured party, which I am informed was paid on 2 May 2002.

I understand that the victim was provided with information about the services of Victim Support and had a member of the Victim Support court services section present when attending court. In addition, the victim may wish to make an application to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal, 13 Lower Hatch Street, Dublin 2, if that has not already been done.