Tuesday, 19 October 2004

Questions (264)

Seán Crowe


405 Mr. Crowe asked the Minister for Transport if he will support the case of a person (details supplied) in County Tipperary. [25045/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Transport)

The holding of a certificate of professional competence, CPC, is one of the requirements introduced by the European Council Directive 74/562/EEC for any person wishing to engage in the occupation of road freight and passenger transport manager. To comply with this requirement there must be some person in the haulage company acting as transport manager. This person must hold the CPC and will effectively manage and control the haulage operation.

In this particular case the holder of the road haulage licence does not hold a CPC and his brother, who holds a CPC, is the designated transport manager for the business.

However the CPC is specific to the person who obtains it and is, consequently, non-transferable. A CPC can only be obtained by passing one of the examinations approved by the Chartered Institute of Transport and Logistics, which is the competent authority in Ireland for CPCs. Full details of courses and examinations in the Tipperary area can be obtained from the Chartered Institute of Transport and Logistics.