Tuesday, 9 July 2019

Questions (242)

Denis Naughten


242. Deputy Denis Naughten asked the Minister for Education and Skills if an application by a person (details supplied) will be approved; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [29657/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

The National Council for Special Education (NCSE) through its network of local Special Educational Needs Organisers (SENOs) is responsible for processing applications from schools for special educational needs supports. SENOs also make recommendations to my Department where assistive technology/specialised equipment is required. The NCSE operates within my Department's criteria in making recommendations for support, which is set out in my Department's Circular 0010/2013.

In order to qualify for equipment under the assistive technology scheme, a student must have been diagnosed with a physical or communicative disability and must also have a recommendation in a professional assessment that the equipment is essential in order to allow the student to access the curriculum. It must also be clear that the existing I.T. equipment in the school is insufficient to meet the child's needs.

No application for assistive technology to support the student referred to by the Deputy has been received by the NCSE or my Department to date.

It is open to the school of the student concerned to make an application for support to the NCSE. All schools have the names and contact details of their local SENO. Parents may also contact their local SENO directly to discuss their child's special educational needs, using the contact details available on www.ncse.ie.