Tuesday, 14 July 2020

Questions (882)

Kathleen Funchion

Question:

882. Deputy Kathleen Funchion asked the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs the income of early years providers received from the State and parents in July and August 2019. [15792/20]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Children)

The Department has estimated from analysis conducted by Crowe that State subsidies represent 58% of the total income for the early learning and care and school age care sector, with the remaining 42% coming from parental fees. This is spread over a 12 month period and can vary from month to month.

My Department operates a number of funding schemes which subsidise early learning and care and school-age childcare fees, either partly or in full. These subsidy schemes, which are administered by Pobal, include ECCE, the National Childcare Scheme, CCSP and TEC. My Department also funds capital grants and Programme Support Payments to providers, which are administered by Pobal.

The funding allocated to providers in July and August 2019, for the delivery of programmes in those months, including CCSP and TEC (for service delivery in July and August), ECCE (for service delivery in the last week of August) and capital and PSP payments in both months is as follows:

July 2019: €13.6million

August 2019: €16.3million

It is not possible to state the exact amount of income to private providers from parental fees in the months of July and August.