Wednesday, 10 February 2021

Questions (341)

Emer Higgins


341. Deputy Emer Higgins asked the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage the person or body that pays the management fees for properties in private developments let through HAP and RAS. [7230/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a flexible and immediate housing support that is available to all eligible households throughout the State. Under HAP, a tenant sources their own accommodation in the private rented market. The tenancy agreement is between the tenant and the landlord and is governed by the Residential Tenancies Acts.

Under the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2014, HAP provides for the payment of rent for a dwelling to a landlord on behalf of a qualified household. HAP support, therefore, would not extend to additional costs such as management fees.

The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) places responsibility on local authorities to meet the accommodation needs of people who are in receipt of Rent Supplement for 18 months or longer, and who are assessed as having a long-term housing need. The scheme is delivered by local authorities who source accommodation from the private market and Approved Housing Bodies.

Where a property is sourced, the local authority enters into a contractual arrangement with the Approved Housing Body or private landlord to make the property available to RAS for an agreed term at an agreed monthly rent. Recoupment is made to local authorities, by my Department, to cover only the contracted rents due to private landlords and Approved Housing Bodies.