Wednesday, 10 February 2021

Questions (342)

Cian O'Callaghan


342. Deputy Cian O'Callaghan asked the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage if local authority council housing tenants are permitted to make complaints to the Residential Tenancies Board given that social housing tenants of approved housing bodies are permitted; if not, if he will consider amending the relevant legislation to permit council tenants to take complaints to the RTB; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [7334/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

The Residential Tenancies Acts cover tenancies in the private rental sector. The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2015 amended the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act and brought tenancies of Approved Housing Bodies under the remit of the Residential Tenancies Board.

The Housing Acts 1966 to 2019 govern local authority housing tenancies. Local authority social housing tenants can avail of the Customer Complaints Procedure that is in place in all local authorities and can be availed of regarding any issues they may have in dealing with their local authority related to their housing situation.

Following the making and processing of any such complaint, if a local authority tenant still considers that they have been adversely affected by a local authority's action, or lack of action, that they consider to be unfair or unreasonable, it is open to them make a complaint to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can examine complaints about how local authorities carry out their everyday executive and administrative activities. These include complaints about delays or failures to take action.

I have no plans to extend the provisions of these Residential Tenancies Acts to local authority tenants to enable them to make complaints to the Residential Tenancies Board at this time.