Written Answers. - Storm Damage Compensation.

Jim Higgins


657 Mr. Higgins (Mayo) asked the Minister for the Environment and Local Government if he will establish a fund to compensate uninsured homeowners whose homes were badly damaged or destroyed during the recent Christmas storms. [1065/99]

There are no funds available to my Department to provide assistance to householders for damage to houses cased by storms. Householders would normally have buildings and contents insured against losses of this nature. Moreover, in necessitous cases, it is open to health boards to provide assistance to elderly householders under the task force on special hosing aid for the elderly to remedy damage to houses. A health board may also assist a person, under the supplementary welfare allowance scheme, where an urgent need arises. In addition, local authorities may help through the provision of temporary accommodation, where necessary.