Business of Joint Committee

I remind members and those in the Public Gallery to turn off their mobile phones, particularly as they interfere with the recording equipment. Before we commence our main business, I wish to turn to some housekeeping matters. The minutes of the meeting of 3 July 2019 have been circulated. Are they agreed? Agreed.

No. 2019/497 is correspondence received from the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Deputy Ross, dated 5 March 2019, providing additional information to members of the joint committee following its meeting on 5 December 2018. It is proposed to note the correspondence. Is that agreed? Agreed.

No. 2019/498 is correspondence received from Deputy O'Dowd, Chairman, Joint Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport, dated 24 June 2019, forwarding correspondence received from Mr. Terry O’Brien regarding the master plan for Bunratty Folk Park, County Clare. We will forward that correspondence to the appropriate statutory body dealing with this area. Is that agreed? Agreed.

No. 2019/499 is email correspondence received from Ms Mary Daly, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, dated 3 July 2019, concerning the reappointment of Mr. Michael Cawley as chairman of Fáilte Ireland. We have invited Mr. Cawley to appear before this committee. He has not come in yet so I propose that we hear from him when he does come in. It is proposed to notify the Minister that the joint committee has no objection to the reappointment of this chairman subject to Mr. Cawley appearing before the committee in the autumn. Is that agreed? Agreed.

No. 2019/500 is email correspondence received from Senator Ó Céidigh, dated 4 July 2019, requesting a meeting on the subject of drones in the autumn and subsequent emails suggesting that named persons be invited to appear as expert witnesses. I presume the drones referred to are not people who go on and on and that the Senator is referring drones that fly.

We agreed last week to schedule this meeting for the autumn session.

No. 2019/501 is email correspondence from the communications unit, received 5 July 2019, forwarding email from Mr. Brendan Lynch, dated 4 July 2019, regarding insurance quotes for Irish citizens with a non-EU driving licence. It is proposed to note that correspondence. Is that agreed? Agreed.

No. 2019/502 is an email from Mr. Cian Spillane of Sport Ireland, dated 9 July 2019, confirming that representatives from that organisation will attend this meeting. Is that agreed? Agreed.

No. 2019/503 is an email correspondence from Deputy O'Keeffe, dated 8 July 2019, requesting that representatives from Transport Infrastructure Ireland, TII, appear before the committee in respect of a named project. I call Deputy O'Keeffe.

I request that representatives from TII appear before the committee in advance of the summer recess. The development works at the Dunkettle interchange in Cork have been at a standstill for months and there is going to be a cost overrun.

We are talking about the Dunkettle roundabout.

Yes, it is the Dunkettle roundabout interchange. I would like representatives from TII to appear before this committee to explain what is going on with this project.

That is fine.

The budget is being formulated for 2020.

We agree with that proposal and we will ask the clerk to arrange that. The Dáil is in recess but the committee will be sitting next week. We will try to find an appropriate time.

Perhaps representatives from TII could come in then. We could have a brief discussion.

It might be possible next Wednesday.

I would be grateful if the Chairman could arrange that.

We will make that request.

I thank the Chairman.