The National Development Plan 2018 to 2027 provides €541 million in capital funding for Defence for the period 2018 – 2022. This level of funding will allow the Defence Organisation to undertake a programme of sustained equipment replacement and infrastructural development as identified and prioritised in the Defence White Paper.
The following priority investment programmes and projects have been identified for inclusion:
- Equipment renewal and replacement programmes including mid-life upgrade of the Army Mowag APC armoured fleet (under way), along with investment in further force protection, transport, communications and information technology, weapons and ammunition systems;
- Procurement of Light Tactical Armoured Vehicles;
- Replacement of the Air Corps Cessna Aircraft (underway);
- CASA Maritime Patrol Aircraft Replacement Programme;
- On-going Naval vessel replacement programme, including acquisition of a multi-role vessel;
- Mid-life refit of the Naval Service vessels LÉ Niamh and LÉ Roisín;
- On-going investment in the modernisation and renewal of barrack infrastructure including accommodation, catering, workshops, storage and training facilities.
With regard to the modernisation and renewal of Defence Forces built infrastructure, projects currently in progress include:
- Ordnance storage facilities in the Defence Forces Training Centre, Curragh, Co. Kildare;
- Training facilities in Sarsfield Barracks, Limerick and Stephens Barracks, Kilkenny;
- Accommodation facilities in the Defence Forces Training Centre, Curragh and Cathal Brugha Barracks, Dublin;
- Accommodation upgrade in Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, Co. Dublin;
- Catering facilities in Custume Barracks, Athlone; and
- Upgrade of fuel storage safety system in the Naval Base, Haulbowline, Co Cork.
In addition, during the lifetime of the National Development Plan, other significant Defence Forces built infrastructure projects will be advanced in military installations throughout the country.
The capital funding provided under the National Development Plan emphasises the importance attached by the Government to ensuring that the Defence Forces have the capabilities necessary to deliver on all the roles assigned by Government.