Wednesday, 16 January 2019

Ceisteanna (140)

Jackie Cahill


140. Deputy Jackie Cahill asked the Minister for Justice and Equality the rights given to a non-EEA citizen and their dependent children under 16 years of age in relation to visiting and or living here when an Irish citizen marries a non-EEA person in their country; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1954/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Justice)

I am advised by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) of my Department that the non-EEA spouses and dependent children under the age of 18 of Irish nationals may visit or reside in the State with the Irish national, subject to certain criteria being met as per the "Policy Document on non-EEA Family Reunification". Persons from visa-required countries need to apply and be granted a visa in advance of travelling to the State in the normal way.

I am further informed that marriage or other familial relationship to an Irish National does not confer an automatic right of residence in the State. A non-EEA national who wishes to reside in the State on the basis of their family relationship to an Irish National must apply for permission to remain in the State.

Full details on the relevant criteria and the application process is available on the INIS website at A successful spouse, or civil partner, of the Irish national may receive a renewable permission on Stamp 4 conditions. Other family members, such as the minor children of the Irish National may receive a permission on Stamp 3 conditions.

Further information on the overall family reunification policy titled "Policy Document on non-EEA Family Reunification" is also available on the INIS website:

The Policy Document is updated from time to time to reflect evolving circumstances and is currently being examined by my officials with a view to its update in the coming months.