In February 2018, an agreement was reached at the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) between the Department, the HSE and health sector Trade Unions in relation to a process aimed at resolving the pay restoration issue for staff employed by section 39 bodies in 50 pilot organisations. The 50 organisations which were included were agreed at the WRC.
Following a data gathering exercise and the compilation of an interim report in June, the parties attended for conciliation talks at the WRC in July 2018. Following a reconvening of talks, an agreement was reached on 2 October 2018 between the parties. For those employed by the 50 organisations involved in the pilot, the following will apply:
- Pay restoration will commence in April 2019 with an annual pay increase of up to €1,000;
- 50% of the outstanding restoration due will be paid on 1 October 2020;
- The remaining 50% will be paid on 1 October 2021.
Based on the information available, it appears that almost 90% of these staff who received a pay cut will have on average, 75% of it restored next month.
The above payments will be made based on the following criteria:
- This is pay restoration and not pay progression;
- The intention is to restore pay reductions made, no more;
- Only the 50 organisations in the pilot are eligible at this time;
- Payment will be subject to a verification and validation process.
It is recognised that some of the remaining organisations will have pay restoration issues also. A process of engagement to address this will commence in 2019.