Tuesday, 12 March 2019

Ceisteanna (169)

Marc MacSharry


169. Deputy Marc MacSharry asked the Minister for Education and Skills if he will meet with a person (details supplied) to discuss the educational needs of the person's child. [12137/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Education)

The policy of my Department is to ensure that all children with special educational needs can be provided with an education appropriate to their needs.

The National Council for Special Education (NCSE) is a separate statutory body whose functions include planning and co-ordinating the provision of education and support services to children with special educational needs in conjunction with schools and the Health Service Executive (HSE).

Parents/Guardians who may need advice or are experiencing difficulties in locating a school placement, including special class placement, should contact their local Special Educational Needs Organiser (SENO) who can assist in identifying an appropriate educational placement for their child, using the contact details available at http://ncse.ie/seno-contact-list.

The NCSE is an independent agency of my Department with responsibility for planning, coordinating and advising on education provision for children with special educational needs. I understand that a senior SENO from the NCSE for the area in question has provided information to the parent in relation to special schools in the locality and continues to ba available to assist the parent. I also understand that there is a Section 29 appeal currently underway. As this process is ongoing, I have no plans to meet with the parent at this stage.

As the matter raised by the Deputy refers to a placement for a particular child, I have arranged for the Deputy's question to be forwarded to the National Council for Special Education for direct reply.