Tuesday, 12 March 2019

Ceisteanna (703)

Mattie McGrath


703. Deputy Mattie McGrath asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government the regulations for the specific parking on local authority owned property of so-called touring caravans under the Traveller specific accommodation scheme; when the policy and regulations were introduced; the reason for same; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11768/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Housing)

In accordance with the Housing (Traveller Accommodation) Act 1998, housing authorities have statutory responsibility for the assessment of the accommodation needs of Travellers and the preparation, adoption and implementation of multi-annual Traveller Accommodation Programmes (TAPs) in their areas. Local authorities are responsible for the management and maintenance of Traveller-specific sites. My Department’s role is to ensure that there are adequate structures and supports in place to assist the authorities in providing safe, culturally appropriate Traveller accommodation, including a national framework of policy, legislation and funding.

The parking of touring caravans on local authority property is not addressed under this legislation. Issues in this regard in relation to a particular site should be directed to the relevant local authority.

Questions Nos. 704 and 705 answered with Question No. 698.
Question No. 706 answered with Question No. 699.