Tuesday, 26 March 2019

Ceisteanna (1110)

Robert Troy


1110. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if it is mandatory for ATV and scrambler motorbikes that are used on public roads to be registered with the national vehicle and driver file; and if they must display a registration plate. [13643/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Transport)

Scrambler motorbikes, quadbikes and other small similar vehicles, are mechanically propelled vehicles, which means that they are vehicles intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical power.  As such, irrespective of engine capacity, under Road Traffic legislation, the user of a scrambler motorbike, a quad bike or similar vehicle in a public place must have insurance, road tax and a driving licence, and must also wear a helmet, with penalties under the road traffic laws (including fixed charge notices, penalty points, fines and possible seizure of the vehicle) for not being in compliance with these requirements.  A registration plate is also mandatory. 

For the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts, a “public place” means any public road, and any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge.