Tuesday, 9 April 2019

Ceisteanna (526)

Robert Troy


526. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if a car insurance policy obtained online from a company based in another EU state is sufficient to provide cover for a resident here; and the legalities of obtaining car insurance from abroad. [16197/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Transport)

All companies underwriting motor insurance in Ireland must be members of the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland (MIBI).

A motor insurance provider from abroad may operate in Ireland if the provider is a member of the MIBI. If a company underwriting motor insurance in Ireland is not a member of the MIBI, then no valid insurance is in place and the policy holder would be deemed to be driving without insurance.