As the Deputy will appreciate, it is the Garda Commissioner who is responsible for managing and the administration and business of An Garda Síochána, and I as Minister, have no direct role in the matter.
Regulation 10 of the Garda Admissions and Appointment Regulations 2013 provides that the Commissioner may, with the consent of the Minister, appoint and enrol any person as a member without regards to the requirements of the regulations if that person has at any previous time served as a member of An Garda Síochána.
I am advised by the Commissioner that the application for re-admission should be made in writing and is processed through the Appointments Office under the remit of the Executive Director Human Resources & People Development.
I understand that when considering an application for reappointment to An Garda Síochána, the Commissioner takes into account a number of factors including:
- Any relevant experience, training or qualifications received since the applicant left the organisation;
- Recommendations of previous line management from the time the applicant served as a member of An Garda Síochána;
- The applicant's previous personnel records;
- Applicant’s resignation file; and
- Length of time since the member has left the organisation.
I am advised by the Commissioner that the re-admission process can take some time to complete, and that applicants for re-admission should contact the Garda appointments office directly if they have any queries in relation to their application.