Thursday, 11 April 2019

Ceisteanna (67)

Catherine Murphy


67. Deputy Catherine Murphy asked the Minister for Education and Skills if home schooling for a child (details supplied) will be expedited; if his attention has been drawn to the issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [17019/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Education)

The National Council for Special Education (NCSE) is responsible for planning, coordinating and advising on education provision for children with special educational needs.

The Council ensures that schools in an area can, between them, cater for all children who have been identified as needing special class placements.

The NCSE’s team of locally based Special Education Needs Organisers (SENOs) are available to assist and advise parents whose children have special needs and identify available placements. They also support and advise schools in this area.

Parents who are experiencing difficulties in locating a school placement, should contact their local SENO.

In circumstances, where the NCSE local SENO confirms that there is no school placement available for a child with Special Educational Needs, my Department's Home Tuition Grant Scheme will provide funding towards the provision of 20 hours tuition per week as an interim measure until a placement is available.

I understand that an incomplete application for home tuition was recently submitted to the Special Education Section of my Department.  My officials have advised the applicant in question to make contact with their local SENO in order to progress the application further.

As the Deputy's question relates to a particular child with special needs, I have referred the question to the NCSE for their direct reply.