Thursday, 14 November 2019

Ceisteanna (114)

Aengus Ó Snodaigh


114. Deputy Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Health if a person (details supplied) can claim back some or all of the cost of a hip replacement surgery. [46907/19]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Health)

All persons ordinarily resident in the State are eligible to avail of public healthcare on the basis of either their full (medical card), or limited eligibility, status.  However, there are no arrangements for reimbursement of procedures received in a private institution in the State.

For procedures carried out in an institution, private or public, in another EU\EEA Member State a patient may apply for reimbursement under the terms of the Cross-Border Directive. Under the Cross-Border Directive a person who has received treatment in either a public or private institution of another EU\EEA Member State, may seek reimbursement of the lesser of either the cost of such treatment in the Member State where it is received, or the cost that would have applied for the treatment in the public health system of their Member State of Affiliation. 

The HSE through the National Contact Point (NCP) provides information for patients on the operation of the CBD on its website and by phone on 056 7784546.