The State Claims Agency (SCA) has a statutory remit to manage personal injury claims, including claims in respect of clinical negligence, on behalf of Delegated State Authorities (DSA’s) including the Health Service Executive.
I have been informed by the SCA that the information contained within this document was extracted from the National Incident Management System (NIMS) as per the below criteria.
- Table 1 shows amount paid in damages between 2016 and 2019 and the number of claims they relate to with regard to Maternity Services in the 19 maternity units nationwide from 2016 to 2019.
- The figures relate to compensation payments made to service users only.
- The compensation payments include large payments made in respect of individual catastrophic injury cases involving a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy.
- The compensation payments included can relate to any type of claim where the service has been recorded as Maternity Services, i.e. birth specific procedures, medication errors, hospital acquired infections etc.
- In order to avoid breaches of data protection legislation, figures are provided at hospital group level. Also, groups have been merged where appropriate to avoid possible identification of hospitals which, in turn, could lead to patient identification in individual cases.
- Report is correct as at 30/09/2020.
The information is contained in the following link.