Wednesday, 20 January 2021

Ceisteanna (403)

Cormac Devlin


403. Deputy Cormac Devlin asked the Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science if he will review the SUSI arrangements in respect of orphans to allow them attend higher education programmes in private colleges in which some specialist programmes may not be listed by the Central Applications Office, CAO; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2661/21]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Further and Higher Education)

Under the Department's student grant scheme, eligible candidates may receive funding provided they are attending an approved course at an approved institution as defined in the scheme. The definition of an approved institution is set out in Section 7 of the Student Support Act 2011 and Regulation 3 of the Student Support Regulations 2020.

In the context of scarce resources, the Department prioritises grants to students attending recognised colleges ahead of private fee paying colleges. It is open to higher education institutions that operate on a 'for profit' basis to use their own resources to provide financial supports to any of their students that they consider to be in particular need.

In the context of a person re-educating, Springboard is a specific initiative that strategically targets funding of free part-time higher education courses to enable unemployed people, returners (formerly referred to as homemakers) and those in employment to upskill or reskill in areas where there are identified labour market skills shortages or employment opportunities. The courses, which are at Level 6 (Higher Certificate) to Level 9 (Master's Degree) on the National Framework of Qualifications, are being delivered in public and private higher education providers around the country. Further information may be obtained from the website

Tax relief at the standard rate of tax may be claimed in respect of tuition fees paid for approved courses at approved colleges of higher education including approved undergraduate and postgraduate courses in EU Member States and in non-EU countries. Further information on this tax relief is available from a student's local Tax office or from the Revenue Commissioners website

Question No. 404 answered with Question No. 402.