Léim ar aghaidh chuig an bpríomhábhar

Student Accommodation

Dáil Éireann Debate, Thursday - 4 November 2021

Thursday, 4 November 2021

Ceisteanna (321)

Denise Mitchell


321. Deputy Denise Mitchell asked the Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science the status of an application for the rent a room scheme by a person (details supplied); and if clarity will be provided on the person's inability to supply supporting documentation from the Residential Tenancies Board as requested by SUSI. [53725/21]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Further and Higher Education)

SUSI does not require Rent-a-Room applicants to be registered with the RTB. However, it does seek one of the documents listed below when an applicant is seeking to be classified as an independent applicant.

The documentation accepted as evidence of living independently is any of the following;

- A letter confirming that the address is registered with Residential Tenancies Board (RTB);

- A Local Authority lease agreement or a letter confirming the applicant's rental under the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) or any Government housing scheme/arrangement. Private housing lease agreements will not be accepted;

- A letter on headed paper from a Rental Agency confirming the applicant's tenancy;

- A letter confirming the receipt and period of Rent Allowance, Mortgage Interest Supplement or Housing Assistance Payment (HAP);

- A utility bill in the applicant's own name, for example; landline telephone, fixed broadband, gas, electricity, cable/satellite television bill, home heating bills, waste bills, mortgage statements and/or property tax letters.

SUSI does not accept mobile telephone bills. If the utility bills in the household are in the applicant's spouse’s name, a marriage certificate should be provided with the utility bill. If an applicant is co-habiting, SUSI will accept utility bills in the applicant's partner’s name covering the relevant period together with correspondence e.g. bank statement/Statement of Liability issued to the applicant at the same address and covering the relevant period; and/or

- Official documentation posted to the applicant at the address and relating to the applicant's residence there. For example, a letter from the Department of Social Protection confirming Rent Allowance at the address. It should be noted that SUSI do not accept bank statements alone for this purpose.

The student referred to by the Deputy has submitted an appeal to the SUSI appeals officer. The student submitted documents on the 28th October that are currently being reviewed by the SUSI Appeals Officer.