Written Answers. - Housing Grants.

Bernard Allen


665 Mr. Allen asked the Minister for the Environment and Local Government if grants are available towards the cost of extending the homes of parents of multiple births, especially in the case of triplets. [19403/00]

While there is no specific grant available for extending a house in view of multiple births, there are a number of housing options in place which could be of benefit in this situation. The improvement works in lieu scheme allows the local authority to improve or extend a privately owned house in the case of overcrowding as an alternative to the provision of a local authority house. In addition, the local authority may offer a local authority loan for house improvement in the case of persons who cannot obtain a loan to meet their requirements from a building society or bank.