Tuesday, 9 October 2018

Ceisteanna (525)

Shane Cassells


525. Deputy Shane Cassells asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government if local authorities will be funded to build social housing for those on the housing waiting list that can provide a site from a family member or friend to build on; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [40715/18]

Amharc ar fhreagra

Freagraí scríofa (Ceist ar Housing)

Local authorities are funded to deliver social housing in a number of ways but there is no requirement for local authorities to deliver social houses on sites provided by an applicant approved for social housing support, as it is a matter for them to select and prioritise projects to meet their overall housing need. It is the local authorities that are responsible for the identification of the social housing need in their areas and for the development of appropriate responses to meet the need identified.

Local authorities have a number of options available to them in meeting social housing needs, and these include the provision of low cost sites to persons qualified for social housing support on which they would build their own homes. Another option which could be utilised by a local authority, where it considers it appropriate, is the transfer of a site from a person qualified for social housing to the local authority, and the building of a social house on the site by the local authority, to be tenanted by the person who transferred the site.